The above video is taken off a sermon titled ‘Jesus- The Prince of Peace’ presented on December 27th, 2020, at the People’s Church in Colombo, Sri Lanka. A brief outline of the sermon is given below. Included in the sermon is a powerful life-changing story by Vanessa Perera at 16.11″ at and a beautiful Solo (‘O Holy Night’) by Melanie Bibile at 24.05″. Thanks to Mokshini Jayamanne for the sign language translation.
The Prince of Peace ( Isaiah 9:6-7)
- Illustration to introduce topic
- Reflect on the desperation in Isaiah’s time and the similarities in today’s situation
- In Isaiah 9:1-2, the darkness and gloom is removed and the light comes shining through
- Read Isaiah 9:6-7 and pray
Only Jesus can bring true peace to individuals and society.
- There was unceasing conflict and suffering in Isaiah’s time. The people were yearning to receive some relief from the continuous challenges of the time.
- Meaning of the word ‘Peace’ in today’s world. Use Definition from Dictionary.
Main 4 Sermon thoughts
1) God is the source of true peace
- Refer to Gideon’s altar named ‘Jehovah Shalom’ (Judges 6:24).
- Expand on God being the true source of real peace.
- Illustrations of people looking for satisfaction through Drugs/Money/Sex/Position etc., without turning to God and the futility in doing so.
2) God’s grace came to man through Jesus
- Explain the situation and circumstances at the time of Jesus’ birth.
- The miracle of Jesus’ birth in a stable and His advent.
- The threats that were present- Matthew 2:3 (From Herod and Infections etc)
- The Christmas story shows this grace coming to many as shown in God’s grace to Mary, Joseph, Simeon and the shepherds.
3) Jesus – The Prince of Peace
- The word ‘Prince’ refers to royalty because Jesus belonged to royalty.
- References to Jesus’ kingship (Matthew 2:2, 2:6, Philippians:2:9)
- His future rule (Philippians 2:9-11)
- Special Song – ‘O Holy Night’
4) Examples from Jesus’ ministry
- Isaiah’s prophecy in 9:1-2 was literally fulfilled when Jesus began His preaching ministry (Matthew 4:15)
- Jesus spread peace wherever he went during His ministry (Calming the storm- Mark 4:39, Comforting disciples John 14:27)
- Refer to John 1:5 NLT where it says the darkness can never extinguish the ‘Light’ Jesus brings.
- Summarize the thoughts in the sermon through a prayer asking Jesus to transform people’s lives during the Season.
For further reading on the topic click link below:
You could also check this sermon out: